Saturday, April 23, 2011

Pick a yama, any yama...

...and "live it fully" for the next 2 weeks. That's our alter assignment. The Yamas, as I mentioned in an earlier post, are a code of behaviors we strive to abide by when interacting with others or our environment. I have to choose one- just one- and truly live it out over the next two weeks, then journal about it on my own and discuss in class how it's manifesting itself in our lives. While they all seem like great choices, I am having a hard time deciding which to choose. I even consulted our good friends the Goettermans last night, and funny as the convo was, let's just say I didn't leave with any clear direction. So, can we take a look at my options and what each one might entail?

AHIMSA - "Non Harming." Well, I consume meat and dairy, so this one is out in the essence of living fully. It would also mean not raising my voice to my kids or husband. Great idea in theory, difficult to practice, especially in the heat of the moment. I am, alas, a yeller. I'M WORKING ON IT, DAMNIT! oops...sorry. However, Ahimsa is a yama that I yearn to integrate more and more into my life. Actually, it's the yama I would like to work on the most. I don't really need to squash that bug; I could put it outside. I could cut back on my meat and dairy consumption, and I absolutely want to be more mindful of my thoughts, words, actions. Are they harmful to me, to others, or could potentially become hurtful to others, are they harmful to the earth, my community, the greater good?

SATYA- "Truthfulness." Look, I am all about being honest, but I have toddlers. Toddlers who believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause, and that bedtime is at 7:30 for our entire family. Sure, believing these things may not be harming them, but by me allowing them to believe those things, I'm not acting within the principle of satya. When someone asks for my "honest" opinion, and I know the answer is not what they want to hear, or could in fact, even be hurtful to them (hello, ahimsa, anyone?) I opt for a vague answer. So if a stranger in the dressing room asks if her shirt is showing too much cleavage, and I mistake her for a waitress at Showgirl II, then do I say so? Likely not. I'll say, "you look remarkable!" Which would, in effect, be the truth.

ASTEYA- "Non Stealing." How many unreturned coffee mugs (Like yours, Katie B!) or borrowed books do I have? What about that pen I accidentally took from the waitress last weekend? And please do not check my iTunes- as admittedly, not every song was exactly "purchased" in a legal manner. Would fully living Asteya these next two weeks mean lots of running around to return things? Yes. Deleting my unpaid for music? Yes, that too. In our discussion, someone brought up even going as far as not checking personal email on company time or calling someone without first asking if they have time to talk then so that you are not "stealing" their time.

APARIGRAHA- "Non-greed." When discussing Aparigraha, our instructor, Dani, who also has toddlers,has mentioned a children's book about a dinosaur that's a bit of a Hoardasaurus. Note to self: get that book, it will do Preston some good. But while I'm pointing fingers at the 3 yr old, I must also look inward. Do I long for more than what I've been given? Am I afraid of letting go or losing something, or that there will be some sort of shortage if I give to others? An example given in our class discussion was, "do I take the last orange in the fruit bowl, or leave it for my partner?" I have to say that of all of these, I'm actually in a good place with this yama. Aparigraha and I are on good terms.

BRAMACHARYA- "Moderation, Contentedness." Holy smokes, this might be the one for me. Moderation! Balance! Non-indulgence! Totally the one I'm leaning towards. This is what I need: No second cookie. No second (ok, 3rd) glass of wine. No second hour of browsing Ballard for outdoor chair cushions and covered porch furniture. I have been guilty of living a "more is more" kind of lifestyle at times and if I'm practicing satya by being honest with myself, I know that living simply, appreciating what we have, acknowledging how much I've been blessed with, and just being in the present moment is the path to true inner peace.

Ok, Bramacharya- bring it.

1 comment:

  1. OMG Erin! I love your blog! So interesting and funny. See ya Thursday! Peace Love JOY
    Amy

    ReplyDelete