Friday, April 8, 2011

We are what we eat...

Last night, I made the best green beans. Ever. (Accompanied by NY Strips on the grill and fresh baked garlic bread.)

Take roughly 1/2 lb of fresh green beans, snap off ends and boil for 3-4 minutes. Meanwhile, melt 1 T butter, 1 T olive oil in pan. Add some chopped onions and garlic, allowing onions to carmelize and garlic to burn. Toss in the beans, and sautee in the onion and garlic. Served sprinkled with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, then top with some freshly grated parmesan cheese. If you have some sliced or slivered almonds, they'd be delish on top, too!

Speaking of good food..... as I mentioned before, I have been thinking about doing a cleanse. Ridding my body of toxins and gunk *sounds* good in theory, but I am such a food lover that it might prove a bit more difficult in practice. As I was browsing Spoiled Yogi's blog last night, I came across her recent post on whether or not she should do a cleanse. I found the comments incredibly interesting- some said our bodies were made to remove what we don't need, so there's no need to cleanse. (Trust the body has all the tools it needs already- yogic in principle, right?) Others said they felt great, a short cleanse was easy. (Empty yourself, bring the body closer to a natural state. (Also yogic in principle, right?) One mentioned a short, 3-days of fruits, veggies and liquids was the perfect length. We'll see, that may be do-able... But somehow I doubt the butter and oil from the green beans above would be allowed. Click here to check out her post.

Perhaps my biggest pause would be giving up coffee and wine. I pretty much drink 4 liquids: water/coffee/tea/wine. Occasionally, I'll imbibe with some vodka or champagne, but generally, it's just those 4 things. And don't my kids know it. My 3 year old will ask to "cheers with his wine" at dinner. (Don't worry, his wine is milk.) Also, we pass a Starbucks, and he'll ask whether or not "that Starbucks has a drive through." Case-in-point: my 19 month old daughter was checking out some of her options for an Easter dress the other day. When I showed her this one, she exclaimed "COFFEE!!!"

Goodness. It's a tea pot, dear. These kids don't have much confidence that their mama can do a cleanse.

No comments:

Post a Comment